Tuesday 30 April 2013

Sewing Doris: Getting A Bit Brave In Her Dotage...

 
Most recent sewing project made from an horrific slidy sheer fabric. A test for any Doris, regardless of skill level.
It's inspired by a Biba blouse I have which I wanted to replicate, the pattern of which I had to adapt; drawing upon my pattern construction learnings from (ahem) 25 years ago...

From a green satin cape trimmed with gold braid which I made for Wol (my favouritest toy owl which is still alive and now loved by Clever Norris) at the age of 8, to my most recent project of a blouse made from a terrifying fabric, I have always been a bit of a sewer. Never one to shie away from a sewing challenge, I have a wide repertoire, from frequently mending the ripped trouser crotches of friends children to recovering a recliner chair whilst 8 months pregnant.
So instead of sitting on this side of the telly and shouting at it (that's Mr Doris's speciality) I decided to put my sewing machine where my mouth is and apply for the next series of The Great British Sewing Bee.
Have I taken leave of my senses completely or am I just deluded? Isn't appyling to make a complete chump yourself in front of the nation something other people do?
Time will only tell...

 Sewing: the gift that keeps on giving...honest.


 
 
Empire line tunic made with 2 layers of fabric. Worn for a 'significant birthday' party.
 
In fact all my clothing projects are made with an occasion in mind, usually around 3 days before the event (just to pile on a little bit more pressure...) because I can't find anything in the shops, therefore returning home with another pair of shoes and a lipgloss, so I think "ooh I'll make myself something instead, that's a good idea."
Perhaps I should just turn up in shoes and lipgloss, sporting a big smile...
 
 
 
Bridal Doris - all fancied up (hair brushed, nails filed and everything...)
 
After 2 children and 12 years of being Mr Doris's superior, I figured that wearing white for our wedding would be both unflattering for my colouring and rather laughable. And being a scruffy Doris I wouldn't be able to keep it clean. Dress was customised with little gold flowers to disguise the fact that the hem was less than perfect. I also added a tulle halterneck, again decorated with the flowers. Lined fur shrug also a handmade Doris addition.
By the end of a long day, featured frock was splattered with wine and the stomach contents of an over-indulged-Young Clever anyway so it is rather fortunate that I'm a non- princessy/precious type.
...yes folks, the kind of wedding a girl can only dream about.
 
 
 
For those of who haven't had the pleasure to meet the esteemed Mr Doris: here he is, resplendent in full Elvis jumpsuit c/o Clever Doris. One of many costumes lovingly created by CD for one of his many Jolly Boy jaunts.
 
 
 
 A duffel style swimming bag and a bath toy bag made for Clever Norris out of an old 1960s towel. The waterproof lining is a betterware sink skirt sample, 'relieved' from my ex-place of work to the puzzlement of my colleagues.
Bless CN - he's so compliant. It won't last...and he'll hate me one day.
 
 
Comfort for an expanding Doris bottom: positioned atop a couple of refurbished chairs, both of which I don't think I paid more than £2 for.
 
 

 
Floor cushions made for both Boy Clevers. Everything made must be duplicated. Or else. And yes, there was an argument about who had the cushion with the stripey braid...
 
 
 
More cushions for Clever Maurice, appliqued using the motifs from outgrown t-shirts.
 

 
Cushion for CN from an old jumper of mine. What posessed me to think a green crew neck shetland wool jumper would look good on me, I have no idea...
 
 
 
A roman blind made from a vintage tablecloth, lined with the remnant of a cotton sheet.
 
 
 
...so has she actually EATEN the baby? - CN's response when attempting to explain to him that a friend has 'a baby in her tummy'.
 
Now like any good earth mother I wrote down all the funny little expressions the young Clevers said back in the days of learning to speak (also because I knew I'd never remember them in later years). For a long while I was at a loss as to what to do with this scratty bit of paper with randomly strung together words and statements until I came up with this little idea.
I made a pine frame and stretched/stapled a piece of canvas onto it, to make a kind of embroidery frame. I then set up a word doc, choosing an appropriate 'kidprint' font and laid out the text onto the document. I then overlayed a piece of acetate onto it and transferred the text using a permanent marker.
I have in my possession an overhead projector, a gert heavy and awkward thing which takes loads of space in Mr Doris's manly domain, but I'll be damned if I'm getting rid... 
Laying the wordy acetate onto the projector screen, I projected it onto the canvas and lighty drew the words onto it using a pencil. I was then ready to create the letters using a small running stitch and embroidery thread. 'Twas a very simple and good 'sitting in front of the telly' project.
 
 
Standard lamp in CN's room. 
Nothing escapes the sewing/painting/glueing clutches of Doris.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Great post, inspiring photos. As an Only-Just-Learnt sewer I am agog with admiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be that as it may - but I am a terrible baker so top trumps to you Jay!! CDx

      Delete