Thursday 18 April 2013

Craft Test Mummy: Another Project for the Boy Clever.

 
The wall of Clever Norris. Shardless. 
 
I find that having offspring gives a Doris a great excuse to exercise her creativity. Luckily the things I've made for the boy Clevers in their short but longsuffering lives, are generally met with what I like to consider as glee, but in reality is probably more of a general grunt in my direction.

A couple of years ago I decided I would paint a mural on Clever Norris's bedroom wall which was previously the domain of Clever Maurice, who moved into our room, when CN moved out of the nursery>computer room>drunk room>now craft room, and into CMs old room. We moved out of what is now CMs room upstairs to the loft (after a conversion I hasten to add: we're not some crazy couple who sleep in a trunk in the attic). Get the picture?!
Each room has had more reincarnations than a reincarnated thing.

And, point to note, this is the 4th mural I've painted on CNs (previously CMs) wall which has previously depicted a cloudy sky scene, disney characters and a scooby doo theme. Once boredom set in each mural was eventually overpainted and replaced with a shiny new version.

Back to the current version. I decided I would be all clever-like and paint the London skyline in silhouette form, which I did. And CN, being 4 at the time, didn't really understand what the image was until after we made a visit to That There London, where we could show him each landmark and explain to him what they all were. He returned home to his freshly painted room with renewed awe and wonder. Of particular interest was the Guerkin, after I explained that "that building which is shaped like a cucumber is where people go to work every day".
He still refers to the Guerkin as the Work Cucumber to this very day.

That explained, young CN settled into his domain satisfied and feeling very knowledgable about all things historical and architectural. Until...

...some inconsiderate geezer went and reshaped the skyline with his fancypants Shard building!

So now we have to alter our little skyline too: cue Clever Doris searching the 'tinterweb for height comparisons of the Shard against existing landmarks. Well it must be proportionately accurate; anything less would absolutely not do.


Because Clever Doris has a slightly ocd bent, I agreed (through gritted teeth) that CN could help paint the shard. He filled in the big middle bits. I did the edges all neat-like.

 

Finished. A proportionately accurate Shard addition to the London skyline. I think.

2 comments:

  1. Love the CN and CM names - but you need to spell them out at least once, so a new visitor happening on this page first will get the joke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Emma
      Your comments have been duly noted. Consider it amended!

      Delete