Thursday 14 March 2013

Old-Lady-Tablecloth Project: quilt & pillow case


 

Hello there everyone:

Todays project is an example of recent items made from Old Lady Tablecloths. The kind I'm referring to are those gorgeous hand embroidered ones which were all the rage decades ago but now sadly sit languishing in plastic boxes on the floor of charity shops, waiting for someone like me to go and rescue them. They're a bit of obsession of mine because they are so beautifully worked but now sit rejected in a dusty corner like a fading beauty which no one has use for anymore!  Needless to say I have rather a lot of them, although I do struggle to cut them up. Feels a bit ruthless really.

Anyway Captain CleverDoris to the rescue - armed with imagination and a big pair of scissors...(I obviously don't struggle that much!)



Quilted throw and pillow case: true to form I had everything already in storage in order to complete this project. The additional materials used are an old cotton duvet cover, the offcuts of a pair of linen curtains as well as wadding and toning ribbons. And for the pillow case: a linen tablecloth with a rather nice orange/yellow stripe design. The embroidery part of the cloths were cut into randomly sized rectangles and machine stitched together to create a long row the width of the quilt. I made 2 of these rows and attached them to strips of fabric and toning woven ribbon. The quilt was backed with wadding and cotton fabric, stitched together and edged with the linen 'curtain'

 
 
 
 
More Old Lady Tablecloth projects to follow...
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. absolutely wonderful!!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very advanced stuff here Kim, it looks like a John Lewis catalogue page..only better..! Very impressed :)
    Just shows how you can make your own unique things with a bit of imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Claire, although I think I need to take a photgraphy course!

    I do try to make things from things I've found rather than come up with an idea and then have to buy for it. That kind of defeats the Clever Doris Thrifty Crafty Ethos Thing doesnt it?
    However it does mean I can hold onto stuff for a long time, waiting for inspiration to strike. Hence the need for the craft room...

    Clever Doris x

    ReplyDelete